[linux-elitists] Dual bore - a question on diagnosis

Dave Jones davej@redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 11:08:01 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 01:49:39PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

 > > or some lower value (keep it less than 1 gig) to the kernel at the GRUB
 > > or LILO command line.  I have seen cases (with first generation Centrino
 > > laptops) where this would eliminate extreme sluggishness in computers
 > > with >= 1 gig of RAM and a CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y kernel.
 >
 > Okay, but let us say I have 4GB of RAM installed.
 >
 > Effectively what would that buy me? Are you saying that 3GB would be
 > wasted and not be worth putting in?
 >
 > Or are you saying that 1GB would be used initially, then at some point
 > later the machine would magically (or non-magically) recognize the
 > additional memory giving full value.

CONFIG_HIGHMEM ? wtf is this ? 1999 ?

In the unlikely event that the computer has the one generation
of core duo that didn't have 64bit support, send it back and ask
for a real computer.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk