[linux-elitists] Dual bore - a question on diagnosis

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Wed Dec 20 10:49:39 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 10:51 -0700, Gary Sandine wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 10:45 -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 11:45 +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> [..]
> > > Sadly, it runs Linux sllooowwwlllyyy....
> > >
> > > I'm giving up. It's going back.
> >
> > Before you send it back, that is listed as having a SATA300 drive in it.
> > Try checking the drive for a jumper to set it to SATA150 and see if it
> > solves the problem. If it does, then you know to avoid Intel and SATA300
> > setups from any vendor, not just that model of HP.
>
> Also, if the system has at least a gigabyte of RAM installed, try
> passing:
>
> mem=1000m
>
> or some lower value (keep it less than 1 gig) to the kernel at the GRUB
> or LILO command line.  I have seen cases (with first generation Centrino
> laptops) where this would eliminate extreme sluggishness in computers
> with >= 1 gig of RAM and a CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y kernel.

Okay, but let us say I have 4GB of RAM installed.

Effectively what would that buy me? Are you saying that 3GB would be
wasted and not be worth putting in?

Or are you saying that 1GB would be used initially, then at some point
later the machine would magically (or non-magically) recognize the
additional memory giving full value.

I know that answer I'd like it to be.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net