[linux-elitists] Dual bore - a question on diagnosis

Gary Sandine linux-elitists@laclinux.com
Wed Dec 20 09:51:27 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 10:45 -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 11:45 +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
[..]
> > Sadly, it runs Linux sllooowwwlllyyy....
> >
> > I'm giving up. It's going back.
>
> Before you send it back, that is listed as having a SATA300 drive in it.
> Try checking the drive for a jumper to set it to SATA150 and see if it
> solves the problem. If it does, then you know to avoid Intel and SATA300
> setups from any vendor, not just that model of HP.

Also, if the system has at least a gigabyte of RAM installed, try
passing:

mem=1000m

or some lower value (keep it less than 1 gig) to the kernel at the GRUB
or LILO command line.  I have seen cases (with first generation Centrino
laptops) where this would eliminate extreme sluggishness in computers
with >= 1 gig of RAM and a CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y kernel.