[linux-elitists] Dual bore - a question on diagnosis

Steven Critchfield le@drunkenlogic.com
Wed Dec 20 08:45:25 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 11:45 +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 07:21:16PM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> >Bah!
> >
> >My brand new dual-core i965/ICH8 system suffers from some kind of
> >sporadic molasses effect. I am hypothesising something related to the
> >cpufreq stuff or the scheduler is playing havoc with it.
>
> This is getting surreal.
>
> The machine is an HP DC7700, and on the off chance it was not Linux, I
> booted the diagnostic CD. Which runs...
>
> Linux!
>
> Hahahaha!
>
> Sadly, it runs Linux sllooowwwlllyyy....
>
> I'm giving up. It's going back.

Before you send it back, that is listed as having a SATA300 drive in it.
Try checking the drive for a jumper to set it to SATA150 and see if it
solves the problem. If it does, then you know to avoid Intel and SATA300
setups from any vendor, not just that model of HP.
--
Steven Critchfield <le@drunkenlogic.com>