[linux-elitists] Okay... so now how do I get...

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Dec 19 13:03:22 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:49:21AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> Chris Ball wrote:
> >You're jumping the gun; the patch has been withdrawn[2].
>
> So it should be, too. I'm all for enforcing the GPL but not by denying
> people the ability to legally load a driver they hacked on in their
> spare time and aren't redistributing. Just because "bad" people can use
> the lack of a hard-enforcing kernel policy on loading non-GPL drivers
> doesn't mean we should do an RIAA/MPAA on their ass.
>
> I mean, computers can be used by terrorists - none of us are going to
> support banning them - but it's the same logic being used by Greg KH.

WTF?

No, that wasn't my "logic", remember the process went something like
the following:
 Martin Bligh:	Closed modules suck, let's prevent the kernel
		from loading them all together.

 Andrew Morton: I agree, we really need to do this.  Let's give everyone
		 one year notice.

 Greg KH:	Ok, here's a patch that lets people know that the
		policy will be changing in 1 year.

Now please note, I did not bring up the original proposal.  Nor did I
set the deadline.  It was the NUMBER 2 rated kernel developer who did
it.  I just send a patch that added a SINGLE kernel log message to the
kernel.  I did not do any such banning, I just agreed with Martin and
Andrew (two developers working for Google, who is well known to have
closed source Linux kernel modules running their whole infrastructure).

So, how did you get the "ban computers because they can be used by
terrorists" type logic here?

And yes, I am _very_ frustrated and angry with closed source kernel
modules.  They make my life a living hell, and routinely violate my
personal copyright on the kernel and some even outright steal my code.

And by every single IP lawyer that I have ever talked with over the
years, I have been told that they are illegal as per the GPL.

And they are completly unworkable and unmaintainable and unsuportable.

And they are simply immoral.

So don't distribute them, otherwise I will get even more grumpy.  Keep
them in your private silo (like Google) and never ask for my help, and I
will not care at all about them.  But once they leave your premises you
violate the license I gave to you and expect me to do everything I can
to prevent them from working on the technical front, and shut them down
from the legal front.

For me to do anything else would be a serious compromise that I am
unwilling to make, otherwise I would be helping out the BSDs.

bleah.

greg k-h