[linux-elitists] Dual bore - a question on diagnosis

Steven Critchfield le@drunkenlogic.com
Tue Dec 19 11:39:45 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 19:21 +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> Bah!
>
> I freely admit to having reached the limit of my elitist abilities here,
> but was idly wondering if I'm literally the only person who has this
> problem...
>
> My brand new dual-core i965/ICH8 system suffers from some kind of
> sporadic molasses effect. I am hypothesising something related to the
> cpufreq stuff or the scheduler is playing havoc with it.
>
> Weirdly, the effect seems to be triggered by periods of light load.
>
> I've tried a number of things, prominently amongst them:
>
> echo performance >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> ...but a whole slew of kernel boot options too.
>
> Now, if someone just happened to have the answer I'd be grateful, but
> what I really want is to improve my mad skillz </irony>.
>
> Anybody know where I can find info on how to go about even starting
> diagnosis?  One assumes that various diagnostic options and/or /sys or
> /proc files exist that I could inspect when the slowdowns occur to try
> and peg the cause.

Granted I am working on a ICH7 based Supermicro board, but I found out
that the SATA 2 drives screw up the speed of the machine. Kernel compile
with drive set for SATA2 was 126 minutes. No software changes, just
jumpering the drive to SATA1 dropped kernel compile to just under 2
minutes.

--
Steven Critchfield <le@drunkenlogic.com>