[linux-elitists] Okay... so now how do I get...

Phil Mayers p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk
Tue Dec 19 01:15:53 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:04:17PM +0000, Chris Ball wrote:

>I hear that Intel is making a daughterboard that adds dual-link DVI via
>a PCIe crossover to its standard integrated graphics (950?) stuff.  I'll
>happily get in line to buy one.

They do, but come on - who wants to burn a PCIe slot on a glorified
media converter? Most desktops only have one PCIe - certainly my
super-spanky new dual core i965 does.

[Of course in my case it's irrelevant since the frakking thing doesn't
WORK under linux of any stripe - oh, except Sarge with the generic 386
kernel. Apparently the mounting of /sys triggers some kind of 2-order of
magnitude drop in CPU performance (as a colleague pointed out, like
someone had hit the turbo button to "off").

Yes, I've tried all the various acpi, apic, pci= and *smp* kernel
options. Bit depressing to be honest]

Down-converting to VGA outside the box not only saves a slot, it means
people don't have to open the machine up to change this around, and
these days opening the machine is about as retro as changing your BIOS
settings (both things I've been doing a lot of to this HP DC7700 - just
say NO kids!)