[linux-elitists] Okay... so now how do I get...

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Dec 18 15:16:18 PST 2006

begin Dave Jones quotation of Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 02:36:48PM -0500:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:10:19AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
>
>  > Creative Labs: used to be a branded part whose name
>  > appeared in the ad for the PC.  Now, audio is on
>  > the motherboard.
>
> Speaking of which, http://opensource.creative.com/
> has some truly awesome news.
>
>  "Creative plans to make proprietary (closed source) drivers available for the
>  X-Fi series of sound cards in the second quarter of 2007."
>
> Sad.  Thankfully for 99% of users, the onboard audio
> these days is 'good enough', so the number of people who
> rush out an buy an X-Fi is probably going to be small potatoes.

Especially considering that if you're seriously
motivated to upgrade you might as well go with a
pro card:
  http://www.rme-audio.com/english/linux/alsa.htm
or use a USB Audio box -- and those seem to all WOOTB
if your distribution's ALSA configuration is sane.

Strangely enough even RME is butt-headed about docs
for their Firewire stuff, but there does seem to be
some interesting work happening for other vendors':
  http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Supported_Devices

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/