[linux-elitists] Okay... so now how do I get...

Dave Jones davej@redhat.com
Mon Dec 18 11:36:48 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:10:19AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:

 > Creative Labs: used to be a branded part whose name
 > appeared in the ad for the PC.  Now, audio is on
 > the motherboard.

Speaking of which, http://opensource.creative.com/
has some truly awesome news.

 "Creative plans to make proprietary (closed source) drivers available for the
 X-Fi series of sound cards in the second quarter of 2007."

Sad.  Thankfully for 99% of users, the onboard audio
these days is 'good enough', so the number of people who
rush out an buy an X-Fi is probably going to be small potatoes.

 > 3. Nvidia/ATI fanboys keep squawking about Intel
 > gfx being teh suxorz, and they don't have multihead
 > and DVI out, so they're teh suxorz.  And you should
 > really put another damn fan in your computer because
 > it's like, got a cheesy-looking neon-colored duct
 > and shit on it.

For real fun, hook up a kill-a-watt or similar device
to a box with one of these monster cards. Then take it out
and use on-board graphics, and notice the enormous power drop.
My latest workstation just shipped to me with a 700W PSU,
and the main reason it's rated so high is aparently so that
high-end graphics cards work reliably.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk