[linux-elitists] Okay... so now how do I get...

Jon Masters jonathan@jonmasters.org
Mon Dec 18 08:49:21 PST 2006

Chris Ball wrote:
>>> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> said:
>
>    > 3D Acceleration out of my nVidia card now?  Currently I have a
>    > nVidia's non-GPL drivers loaded...
>
> By providing moral and/or financial and/or technical support to the
> Nouveau[1] project over the next year.  We might be surprised by how
> quickly the community could get sane Free Software 3D drivers for
> nVidia cards if it felt a stronger need to.

I'm personally annoyed that it's difficult to get Intel chipsets on a
PCI card of some kind - I don't want to have to purchase an NV or ATI
card that requires proprietary drivers, we should try to persuade those
with compelling alternatives to help us out.

>    > In about a year, I guess I won't.
>
> You're jumping the gun; the patch has been withdrawn[2].

So it should be, too. I'm all for enforcing the GPL but not by denying
people the ability to legally load a driver they hacked on in their
spare time and aren't redistributing. Just because "bad" people can use
the lack of a hard-enforcing kernel policy on loading non-GPL drivers
doesn't mean we should do an RIAA/MPAA on their ass.

I mean, computers can be used by terrorists - none of us are going to
support banning them - but it's the same logic being used by Greg KH.

Jon.