[linux-elitists] Editor Emeritus... wishing it was still Editor in Chief

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sun Dec 17 23:06:35 PST 2006

begin Greg Folkert quotation of Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 01:50:00PM -0500:

> As far as Linuxworld, haven't brought myself to consistently read it
> since it radically changed from whence it was raised...

Please give it a try.  You'll be able to get IDG News
Service stuff -- including Bob McMillan for those who
remember LinuxWorld.com two incarnations ago, along
with Network World content, a weekly kernel article
syndicated from LWN, and some original articles.
RSS here:
  http://www.linuxworld.com/rss/linux-news.xml

There's also a reader survey for those who want to
have some input into the direction of the site:
  http://www.surveywriter.net/in/survey/survey566/LinuxWorld.asp

Greasemonkey script for those who would prefer a
little lighter layout:
  http://monkey.linuxworld.com/scripts/linuxworld.user.js

Rick Moen suggests bringing back NNTP newsgroups:
  http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/229
This is fundamentally an excellent idea.   NNTP
doesn't have banner ads, though.

Weird but doable idea: Not that I don't think MySQL
is a useful piece of software and everything, but
one plan for a Linux news site would be to go 100%
database-free: ikiwiki/git for articles and listings
(with a Perl script that I've already written to grab
items out of the news wire and cram them into the wiki
directory), NNTP for comment back end, and something
similar to JS-Kit to do a web comment front-end -- an
"AJAX newsreader".  (Yes, I have someone working on
this, and yes, it should put in headers indicating
the user's browser info, for those who want to run
an elitism filter in their newsreaders.)  Then the
site editor just runs git and leafnode on a laptop
so can work offline.

I'm pretty happy with what IDG Legal and I ended up
with in the author contract department.  It's first
rights only, not All Your Base Are Belong To Us.
You can think of it as getting money and free editing
work to create docs for your favorite Free Software.

Still looking for someone to write: "Future-Proof
LVM: Setting up Linux Storage for hassle-free backups
and expansion"

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/