[linux-elitists] Editor Emeritus... wishing it was still Editor in Chief

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Dec 16 14:26:57 PST 2006

<quote who="Greg Folkert">

> I sorely miss the just previous Linux Journal Editor in Chief.
>
> Not that Nic is bad, just that the format and content has become more
> "glossy", "for the n00b, and deadheads in management" and "not for the
> Linux user in the trenches".

I wrote a blog entry earlier this year after I'd read a few of the new
editor's issues:

  http://perkypants.org/blog/2006/03/15/requiem-for-linux-journal/

I no longer buy it on a regular basis. I flick through it at the newsagent
to check whether he's gone, or how far south the magazine keeps going under
his editorship.

I do agree that as the market around Linux and FLOSS grows, institutions
like Linux Journal need to move to where the action is. Unfortunately, I
don't think it has moved to the right action, for its own benefit or for
it's readers. Suddenly it's all about Web 2.0, wikis and blogs, when there
is a massively growing audience of hardcore 'enterprise' Linux/FLOSS users
who are just stumbling through "I came for the quality, I stayed for the
freedom".

Print is getting tougher and tougher, and if the only choices for a niche
print publication are to go high end, investigative and aspirational vs.
going low end, emotional and mass consumable... then Petreley has traded
LJ's well earned reputation and standing for dreck.

So sad. :-(

- Jeff

                    The Unix Way: Everything is a file.
                 The Linux Way: Everything is a filesystem.