[linux-elitists] Purchase agreements -- for teh win! (was: Okay... so now how do I get...)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Dec 15 21:50:37 PST 2006

begin Ben Finney quotation of Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 11:20:03AM +1100:

> How common is it to be able to negotiate terms to the degree you're
> discussing, and what kind of org will be able to do so?

If you're dealing with a two-guys-and-a-screwdriver
systems integrator, and you let them know up front
that GPL-only drivers is a company policy with
you, they'll work with you.  This type of vendor
doesn't want to get stuck with a proprietary driver
themselves, since they can't fix it any more than
you can.

With bigger companies the challenge is getting them
to take a purchase order from a small company at
all -- they'll want you to use a credit card, so
that the order is subject to an online "agreement"
that they write.

http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2006-December/053987.html

--
Don Marti