[linux-elitists] Trade secrets or shady dealings? (was: Okay... so now how do I get...)

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Fri Dec 15 16:43:53 PST 2006

<quote who="Ben Finney">

> What of the persistent meme that there is pressure from Macrovision et al
> to keep their technology's implementation details closed to prop up DRM?

They could do this completely separately from the rest of their stuff. See
Intel's latest (fortunately optional but unfortunately proprietary) mvision
bits. I say this with mild handwaving, not grokking their rendering paths,
but it would be enormously surprising if the mvision crud couldn't be done
with some decoupling.

- Jeff

    "Man, is there some worldwide consipiracy to supply me with doctored
             dictionaries or something?" - Adrian van den Dries