[linux-elitists] Spam via the list

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sun Dec 10 00:13:56 PST 2006

begin Jonathan Corbet quotation of Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 08:51:35AM -0700:

> Additionally I now get *two* copies of everything.  Double spam for no
> extra charge!

Welcome back, all.  Sorry about the mixup.

This is a fresh install of Mailman 2.1.5 on a new box,
and the elitism rules and DNS should both be working
correctly now.

We sure are getting a heap of spam this winter,
by cracky!

Just redid the spam filtration for my personal mail,
along the lines of the plan that Glen Martin covered
here:
  http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2006-September/011683.html

The plan is to use spamassassin for rules, then CRM114
for math.

I'm not using any of the virus checking tools yet,
but am getting DNSBLs, SPF, Razor, Pyzor, and DCC
all via spamassassin:
  http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/SingleUserUnixInstall

Spamassassin is not doing its Bayesian filter, and
adding only one X-Spam-Status header, not the -Level
and -Flag headers.  user_prefs lines:

use_bayes 0
bayes_auto_learn 0
report_safe 0
remove_header all Report
remove_header all Level
remove_header all Flag

The only drawback was having to babysit a "newborn"
CRM114 filter -- it has pretty much settled down now.

Training is simple: put misclassified mail in the
right folder: spam, inbox, or recycle.  recycle is
"train as nonspam, then delete".  Mail in the spam
folder gets deleted after a couple days, unless it was
manually put there, in which case it gets trained on
and deleted.  Anything in inbox that CRM114 thought
was spam gets trained on.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/