[linux-elitists] Debian VPS?

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Mon Aug 28 15:02:58 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 11:43 -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> I'm looking for a low-cost but basically reliable
> virtual private server on which to run Debian.
> That's about it -- nothing fancy.  I'm planning to put
> RT, some cron jobs, and possibly Mailman on the box,
> and don't anticipate much traffic.
>
> So far I have looked at:
>
>   http://www.tektonic.net/vds.php?op=budget_plans
>
>   http://linode.com/products/linodes.cfm
>
> Anyone have recent experience with these or other
> VPS companies?  Suggestions or pointers welcome.

http://www.waveform.net

They colo host many things. The definition of mid-TOWER is a nice
definition.  From the FAQ http://www.waveform.net/colo/colo-faq.php

        Q: What size tower server may be colocated at your facility?
        A: Our shelving is set to allow a typical mid-tower case no
        larger than 22" high x 9" wide x 20" deep

>From the Colo Page http://www.waveform.net/colo/

|   Type   |       Physical Space       |Mnthly xfer|Setup|Monthly Fee|
|User Owned|Rack Server 1 Rack Unit (1u)|1000GB/Mnth|Free |     $50.00|
|User Owned|Mid-Tower Server 1 Mid Tower|1000GB/Mnth|Free |     $50.00|

Add. IP Addr $1.00/month each -- Add. Bandwidth $0.05/Gigabyte

Yeah, I know not verbatim, but the Additional Bandwidth is a typo on the
page.

Me, I just bought a DL145 G2 with SATA. Nicely rounded out. Going in
there shortly.

BTW, they have a MAC Mini, a Laptop and other stuff in the facility that
qualifies as a "Mid Tower"... kind of amazing what can be considered a
"Server" nowadays.

--
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net>