[linux-elitists] Simplest power management problem

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci@redhat.com
Tue Aug 22 17:52:26 PDT 2006

> You can easily turn off all of the above with `rmmod`, providing they've
> been built as modules, and you can go farther -- CPU and memory hotplug
> support are in newer kernels.  (If you have a dual-core machine and
> are feeling particularly gratuitious, you can virtually unplug a CPU.)

Does removing a driver gurantee that the device will be left in a
powered off state? I remember the stone ages when this wasn't always
true. I've never really gone through the trouble to see if that is
the case today.

--
Matthew Galgoci
IS Production Operations