[linux-elitists] Re: GPL Violations [was Re: Mobile Phone Choices]

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Wed Aug 2 16:07:16 PDT 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 03:56, Rick Moen wrote:
> [Your licence statement:]
>
> > Relax, this is not GPL software, but rather it is distributed under the
> > public domain.
>
> Congratulations:  You've created a potential legal quagmire for
> recipients.  Pray that the code instances in question don't ever become
> significant.

Well, for the record, the headers for all the files carry something like that:

[[[[[[[[[[[
/*
 * intrface.c - instance interface functions for Freecell Solver
 *
 * Written by Shlomi Fish (shlomif@vipe.technion.ac.il), 2000-2001
 *
 * This file is in the public domain (it's uncopyrighted).
 */
]]]]]]]]]]]

Furthermore, Freecell Solver was already integrated into at least 4 programs
so far, including KDE's KPatience which is part of kdegames. The KDE
developer who originally integrated it there (Stephan Kulow - a German),
originally did so without asking for my permission (which was naturally not
required), and without noting there was some kind of a licensing issue.

I'm not sure if there was an official Public Domain COPYRIGHT file at the
time. (Which was some time before CC-Public-Domain came into being).

And like I said, most of the software I wrote since is under the MIT X11 if I
could help it.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il