[linux-elitists] [doc@ssc.com: [Fwd: Plug 'n' Pray to Plug 'n' Play: What's it Going to Take?]]]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Apr 21 09:31:58 PDT 2006

begin Doc Searls quotation of Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 06:03:47AM -0700:

> At 11:05 PM -0700 4/20/06, Greg KH wrote:
> >l-e's filter caught this...
> >

> Yep. It's because I wrote the first version of that on the Linux
> ThinkPad, then lost it somehow. My fault I'm sure.

Actually, that last one was a different l-e filter,
the "To: the list and Cc: no one" rule.  (Which is
exactly opposite to the lkml rule on Cc.)  See the
"Cc considered harmful" thread.

> But the thinkpad
> has fan noise that cranks my tinitis up to eleven. (Gotta get a
> different laptop. Recommendations welcome.)

Have you tried just cranking down the CPU?  I run my
ThinkPad at minimum speed most of the time, and the
fan doesn't spin up.  Nice trick for going to minimum
speed, from the cpudynd FAQ:

   sudo killall -USR2 cpudynd

http://mnm.uib.es/gallir/cpudyn/faq.html

> So I wrote it again and
> sent it on the Mac latpop, knowing it would be intercepted by the
> filter, and hoping Don would notice and override it. I had to leave
> and didn't have more time. I'll re-send this morning from the
> ThinkPad.

I passed that one along.

--
Don Marti