[linux-elitists] [doc@ssc.com: [Fwd: Plug 'n' Pray to Plug 'n' Play: What's it Going to Take?]]

James Sparenberg james@linuxrebel.org
Thu Apr 20 17:27:08 PDT 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 13:48, Greg KH wrote:
<snip>
> > > And yes, we do seem to have a ton of Linux jobs here in
Portland...

> > Yeah, but it RAINS ALL THE TIME!  (Sorry, Oregonian protective
reflex.
> > We do want more Linux folks here, even if some of them *are*
Californians.)

> It doesn't rain that much here.  Well, compared to CA, yes, but
that's
> an unfair comparison...
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Greg,

  In the last 7 weeks we have had around 10 days not raining.  4 of
them in a row this week.  So for your sake I hope it's not raining
more than that.

 On subject the biggest "problem" I have in Linux is dealing with
wireless NIC's.  Directly the fault of the manufacturer as the card
listed as supported today might not have the same Chip tomorrow, but
will have the same FCC number etc.  (grrr) But honestly it's been
more than a little while since I've really had to worry about whether
or not Linux will support hardware, generally if it isn't so new that
an XP install from CD won't find it I'm 100% OK and if XP can't I'm
98% OK.  I actually tend more often to use Linux to find out how to
make that other OS run, where in the 90's I used that other OS to
find out if I could run on the hardware.

 My USB experience is that in general Linux, FreeBSD and Mac support
it the best with Redmond trailing.  (It seems that 2003 server and
some versions of XP have problems with removal and re-insertion)
It's so much fun to plug something in and watch friends oo and aah
when it gets detected and a window pops up to get me going.  I've an
HP camera and it worked out of the box on every Linux box in the
house.   Worst problem with USB is that a number of supper cheap or
free pen drives really need to be re-formated to work right.

  On the other side.  What's a good "source" for researching jobs in
Linux, in Oregon?

James