[linux-elitists] [doc@ssc.com: [Fwd: Plug 'n' Pray to Plug 'n' Play: What's it Going to Take?]]

Aaron Burt aaron@bavariati.org
Thu Apr 20 10:43:39 PDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:12:28AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Aaron Burt quotation of Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:49:36PM -0700:
>
> > "Where do I go learn to write Linux device drivers and become a Linux
> > embedded applications engineer?
>
> FreedomHEC, of course...
> http://freedomhec.pbwiki.com/

Probably will go just for the heck of it, too shy to put my name on the
Wiki yet.  I should check with some other PDX kernel hackers and see if
they need a car-share or crash space with my Seattle friends.
(Linux is so punk-rock.)

Should be interesting finding ways to let WinHEC attendees know about
FreedomHEC.  Postering is a grand old Seattle tradition but it can be
problematic these days.

> So, from the PC hardware manufacturer's point of view
> today, the HELL with the Free Software home users, the
> HELL with "works with Ubuntu" stickers, and the HELL
> with the Linux freak's Grandma shopping for a webcam.

Preach it, brother!

> <snip> the "kernel source as buyers guide" effect is bigger
> than that.)  And those customers don't nickel-and-dime
> their suppliers quite as much.  Being a good citizen
> of the kernel tree gets you one step higher in the
> IT company food chain.

It's a lovely thought.  My experience with garage-engineered Linux
appliance development is that it operates at about the same remove from
HW manufacturers as Aunt Tillie, and has about the same sort of trouble
figuring out what'll actually work well with Linux today, yet still be
available a year from now.  (Aunt Tillie knows things break and need
replacement.)

Any project above garage-level can hire someone to write drivers, and as
mentioned, lots of them are doing so 'round here.

--
"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem" - Matt Burch