[linux-elitists] [doc@ssc.com: [Fwd: Plug 'n' Pray to Plug 'n' Play: What's it Going to Take?]]

Chris Ball cjb@mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 19 15:35:54 PDT 2006

[Many apologies for the previous empty post.]

>> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org> said:

   > What Needs to be Done for desktop (and especially laptop) Linux --
   > to work with whatever devices come along.

I'm afraid that in my mind, these camera/scanner/printer driver issues
(do we really still have any?) are insignificant in comparison to the
problems we're seeing with modern graphics cards.  We don't even have
proprietary 2D drivers for the latest ATI chipset (X1x00) now shipping
in desktops and laptops near you, much less open ones.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb@mrao.cam.ac.uk>    <http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~cjb/>