[linux-elitists] Fwd: [Samba] The 6 (or 7) "R's" of Windows support

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Wed Sep 21 23:21:25 PDT 2005

Hey 31337,

    So sorry to keep bombarding this list with
cross-traffic from the samba list (which I'm still
subscribing to because our new pdc is really slow to
load a default profile < 5MB for some reason I haven't
yet debugged -- on an isolated test network with just
one server, one client and a 100Mbps switch -- and
yes, we have domain logons!) but this reply to the
M$ vs. Samba thread was just too good not to share ...

--
/home/modus/.signature
Thu Sep 22 02:14:21 EDT 2005
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (79% of Full)

----- Forwarded message from smc+samba@dogphilosophy.net -----

From: smc+samba@dogphilosophy.net
To: samba@lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] The 6 (or 7) "R's" of Windows support

I've been joking for years about the "6 R's" of Microsoft
voodoo problem solving:

1)Retry the thing that didn't work

2)close and Restart the program that isn't working

3)Reboot

4)Reconfigure the program in case the configuration mysteriously changed
or got "corrupted" and try again

5)Reinstall the program that doesn't work in case it got "corrupted" files.

6)Reformat the whole hard drive and start over, because obviously something
has gotten too "corrupted" to be fixed reasonably.

7) [or 1) if you want to save a lot of time] - Replace with a more Reliable
operating system...)