[linux-elitists] my first freelance linux job!

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Sep 17 01:11:36 PDT 2005

<quote who="Modus Operandi">

> Of course, everything must be finished by Monday, when everyone comes back
> to work -- so I have to stop babbling and go to sleep!

Congrats!

I supported my Free Software habit for quite a while doing consulting work.
Lots of fun, lots of challenges. One recommendation for you, if you decide
to pursue it - get maintenance contracts, not one-off or per-hourly rates.
This will make sure you are still bringing in some money in the down times
(it's always up and down doing consulting, you have to defend against it),
keeps you in touch with the customer (for further work when they decide how
much your FOSS solution rocked), and very importantly, keeps their systems
up to date and secure. It really sucks to see small companies ditching FOSS
solutions (usually "Linux" in their eyes, whatever the solution) because
some prat didn't stay in touch and keep their systems up to date and secure.

G'luck! Your customers will enjoy their new found freedom. :-)

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu USA & Europe Tour: Oct-Nov 2005            http://wiki.ubuntu.com/3BT

    "If I had an inch for every penis size spam I'd recieved..." - Luis
                                   Villa