[linux-elitists] [[IRR] FEMA requires IE 6 and JavaScript]

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Sep 6 03:10:01 PDT 2005

Excerpt from
	 MacInTouch <http://www.macintouch.com/>

FEMA is adding insult to injury in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina:

[Gary Mullins] My 90-year old mother sat out Katrina in her brother's
home next door in Diamondhead, MS, about eight miles from the
Mississippi coast where the hurricane's eye hit. They survived
without injury but with massive destruction to their homes, and my
mother has lost most of her possesions. I brought her to my home in
California yesterday and this morning went to the FEMA website to
register to start the assistance process.
   To my dismay, our Federal emergency agency requires Microsoft
Internet Explorer 6, and only IE 6, to use the website for disaster
assistance. I don't want to be political about this, but this smacks
of a serious leadership failure that the use of the Internet is
reserved for only the Windows community. I will reserve my opinion of
the administration for the op-ed pages, but I want to vent my dismay
about this to the rest of the Mac community. I hope other Mac users
let their political reps, newspapers and other media know of this
marginalization. [...]

[Todd Del Priore] FEMA's website for disaster registration requires:

In order to use this site, you must have JavaScript Enabled and
Internet Explorer version 6. Download it from Microsoft or call
1-800-621-FEMA (3362) to register."

I tried the latest Safari, IE and Firefox, none work. Heaven help all
the Mac users in the South... assuming they have power.

----- End forwarded message -----