[linux-elitists] GNU/Linux box as a RAID device?

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Thu Oct 27 09:39:32 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 11:31 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:36 -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> > Various RAID cards that are supported on Linux provide this comfortably
> > (the new 3ware SATA-II card promises 800 MB/sec sustained reads, and
> > over 350 MB/sec writes on RAID5), the problem is really to provide an
> > interconnect that works. That's why I'd like something like Fiber
> > Channel, where you can use two cables in parallel to get 300MB/sec.

> Use Cross-Over cable. Fiber isn't needed, the cooper GigE would be
> equivalent.

I meant fiber channel, not ethernet over fiber. Fiber channel over fiber
or over copper coax is all the same to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_Channel
It's commonly available as 2Gb per cable, and people often trunk two
cables together. This is widely supported and used on MacOS (it's what
you use to connect the XRaid), and thus would be useful.

--
Joakim Ziegler <joakim@avmaria.com>