[linux-elitists] GNU/Linux box as a RAID device?

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Oct 27 08:31:00 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:36 -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 21:25 +0200, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Joakim Ziegler">
> >
> > > So, he asked me something the other day, which made me think. He wanted to
> > > know if he could set up a Linux box with a bunch of (SATA or SATA-II)
> > > disks in RAID, and then hook his mac up to that box via SCSI or Fiber
> > > Channel, and have the RAID device show up as a SCSI device on the Mac end.
> >
> > If there are ATA Over Ethernet drivers for OS X, that would be a nice and
> > cheap way of doing it. Just expose your RAID via AoE on the Linux box, and
> > mount it on the OS X machine.
>
> Yeah, this would work, but there's really not enough bandwidth, even on
> gigabit ethernet, to make this practical. HD video, even compressed, is
> on the order of a couple of hundred megabytes per second per stream.

ATA over Ethernet works at layer 3 of the the OSI Model. AoE does not
rely on network layers above Ethernet, such as IP, UDP or TCP. This also
means that AoE is not routable (rowt-able) and is intended for SAN or
Local Networking.

> Various RAID cards that are supported on Linux provide this comfortably
> (the new 3ware SATA-II card promises 800 MB/sec sustained reads, and
> over 350 MB/sec writes on RAID5), the problem is really to provide an
> interconnect that works. That's why I'd like something like Fiber
> Channel, where you can use two cables in parallel to get 300MB/sec.

Use Cross-Over cable. Fiber isn't needed, the cooper GigE would be
equivalent.

I am sure, since only the 2 nodes on the private network would surely
crank in any case. I don't think that NIC Bonding would help as I don't
believe there is anything that works that low in the layer model, as
most Bonding thingers I have looked at and used are all in the TCP, UDP,
IP type of things. Of course, I could be speaking out /dev/ass which is
a symlink to /dev/random.

Just for S&Gs:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aoetools/

http://www.open-iscsi.org/

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing.