[linux-elitists] I hate you, Greg.

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Wed Oct 26 23:57:29 PDT 2005

begin  Eugen Leitl  quotation:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 12:57:55PM -0700, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> > > Ha, mutt has no such issues.
> >
> > Your posts are not making it to the list because you're not using
> > mutt's list-reply feature.  You have failed the l-e intelligence
> > test.
>
> Since when has elitists turned into crackmonkey?

	*sigh*

Yes, I expected this.  That list has been dead for *years* now, and
still people use "this isn't crackmonkey, maaan!" whenever I say things
they don't like.

No, this list is not crackmonkey.  But it does still have some of the
same filters (and more!) and I did you a service by pointing out how you
had failed to pass them.  Future displays of gratitude will be accepted
in the form of cash payments or gift certificates at classicshaving.com.

> Now I still don't understand Greg's glee about Debian slowly sinking
> into the muck. Some of the packages are stale, and security updates
> have been nonexistent for a brief while, but I don't see why a
> noncommercial effort (the last volunteer effort with no commercial
> backing) has to end this way.
>
> Allright, it's Ubuntu server 5.10 AMD64 for me, for time being.

Yeah, and therein lies another horrifying epic.

I had the chance to ask a debian developer about his own particular
hatred for Ubuntu.  He started with how they are just a fork and they
steal people from Debian and don't contribute back.  Later he accused
Ubuntu developers of "spamming" the changelogs of Debian packages, by
contributing their changes back.

He then pointed out that the destruction of Debian is in Ubuntu's best
interest, and that is why they hate it so.  This was shortly after he
snickered about how Ubuntu was just a thin veneer on Debian and needed
it to do all their work for them.

In the end it came down to "ha ha GNOME", which I appreciate at least.
But all my explanations that I've come to *like* the 6-month release
cycle fell to the usual "who needs releases!" stuff (answer: the users,
since many of them can't or won't put up with the "it doesn't happen
that often" crap that unstable finds itself into not-that-often).

But yeah, I hope Debian sticks around long enough to make Ubuntu really
shine, and I hope that Ubuntu finally manages to show Debian How It Is
Done.

But in the end, Ubuntu is supposed to steal users back from OSX, not
pillage the last of the Debian weenies!

--
The insipid neologism "blog" appears to mean little more      Nick Moffitt
than a Web site that *actually* gets updated, as opposed     nick@zork.net