[linux-elitists] I hate you, Greg.

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Wed Oct 26 17:31:51 PDT 2005

On 26-Oct-2005, Greg KH wrote:
> I don't take it personally, I find it pretty funny that people can
> get so worked up about something that they can help change if they
> really want to.

I agree with John Gilmore that the problem is non-free software being
shipped in a free OS, and that pushing the problem to userspace
doesn't solve it.

I agree with Greg KH that "do the work if you don't like it" is a
reasonable response, when it's possible to solve the problem by work.

When the problem is someone else's non-free driver, the number of
people who can solve the problem is fairly small. It includes the
copyright holder of the non-free software, which is why users try to
pressure them to do that work or allow others to do so.

I can see that your approach is also trying to get to that goal, by a
different route.

> Oh, and at least one major distro has been served with legal papers
> due to them shipping closed source kernel drivers, and more are on
> the way. That's the direction some developers are taking.  Others,
> myself included, as taking the technical way and just making it so
> damn hard to write and ship a closed kernel module, that they will
> just give up eventually.  Combine that with the EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL()
> stuff in the kernel, and I give it about 1-2 more years before it's
> just technically impossible to write such a module.

I highly laud your efforts and intentions. Thanks, Greg.

I also laud the efforts of those pressuring non-free driver vendors
through other channels. It's all needed to make it consistently,
chronically (as opposed to acutely) clear that *customers* want this
situation improved also.

--
 \         "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of |
  `\                                           five."  -- Groucho Marx |