[linux-elitists] I hate you, Greg.

George Georgalis george@galis.org
Wed Oct 26 14:13:56 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 12:57:55PM -0700, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:

>Your posts are not making it to the list because you're not using mutt's
>list-reply feature.  You have failed the l-e intelligence test.

Bah. I got chastised for sending confirm requests to list posts
when I hadn't even sent a single one, only pro-actively apologized
before I positively knew that I hadn't sent  any.

I wouldn't characterize that kind of hot response as coming from
any kind of elite, but the tone is typical of this list.  And if
I too have failed a l-e intelligence test, well this wasn't for
that assessment but mutt has sucked since at least 1995.

If there is no place for user compassion by linux-elitist, only
or mostly ridicule, what is there to gain by becoming one of the
elite? Don't bother telling me, I don't want to be like you.

btw - if you use qmail, and set QMAILMFTFILE=${HOME}/.list
you can run this

sedfilter='#---begin---
	s/#.*//;	# Remove all comments
	s/[ \t]*//g;	# Remove whitespace
	$!{	# Except on last line ..
	  /^[ \t]*$/d;	# .. delete blank lines
	  H;		# .. copy to hold space
	  d;		# .. and start over.
	}
	# On the last line ...
	x;		# Switch pattern and hold space
	G;		# Entire file is now in patt space
	s/^\n//;	# Del leading newline
	s/\n$//;	# Del trailing newline
#	s/\./\\./g;	# Change . to \.
	s/\n/|/g;	# Change \n to |
	#---end-----'
subscribe="subscribe (`sed "$sedfilter" $HOME/.list`)"
sed "/^subscribe/s/^subscribe.*/$subscribe/" ~/.muttrc-$$ >~/.muttrc-$$
mv ~/.muttrc-$$ ~/.muttrc

and you put the lists you are subscribed to in that file, you'll
have mutt know what list you subscribe to while qmail-inject adds
the right Follup-to when you send messages. It was no simple task
determining all what needed doing and I couldn't have worked it out
without the friendly help over at sed-users.

excuse me, this must be common knowledge here...

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org