[linux-elitists] GNU/Linux box as a RAID device?

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed Oct 26 12:36:09 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 21:25 +0200, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Joakim Ziegler">
>
> > So, he asked me something the other day, which made me think. He wanted to
> > know if he could set up a Linux box with a bunch of (SATA or SATA-II)
> > disks in RAID, and then hook his mac up to that box via SCSI or Fiber
> > Channel, and have the RAID device show up as a SCSI device on the Mac end.
>
> If there are ATA Over Ethernet drivers for OS X, that would be a nice and
> cheap way of doing it. Just expose your RAID via AoE on the Linux box, and
> mount it on the OS X machine.

Yeah, this would work, but there's really not enough bandwidth, even on
gigabit ethernet, to make this practical. HD video, even compressed, is
on the order of a couple of hundred megabytes per second per stream.

Various RAID cards that are supported on Linux provide this comfortably
(the new 3ware SATA-II card promises 800 MB/sec sustained reads, and
over 350 MB/sec writes on RAID5), the problem is really to provide an
interconnect that works. That's why I'd like something like Fiber
Channel, where you can use two cables in parallel to get 300MB/sec.
--
Joakim Ziegler <joakim@avmaria.com>