[linux-elitists] More crudeness and light

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Tue Oct 25 17:49:07 PDT 2005

begin  Don Marti  quotation:
> > wget -O - "$@" | xml2 | grep /enclosure/@url= | cut -d = -f 2 | xargs wget -m

> > So, who can do me one better?  Better argument handling?
>
> Arguments?  Why not just add the podcasts to your Planet with all your
> other RSS feeds, and get the RSS from the Planet cache:
>
> http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2005-August/011240.html

yes, I've seen that, and it's a nice boy-scout script that follows the
model rocketry safety guidelines.  It also hard-codes the planet stuff
in there and is longer than one line.

> That way you only have to manage your RSS feeds in one place, and you
> can read whatever text was associated with the audio on your Planet
> page with everything else.

	That is precisely what I do not want to do.

My planet instance (http://zork.net/laziness) is for writing I find
interesting.  It's already cluttered enough with feeds that I'm tempted
to weed out or filter, and my experiment in filtering boingboing has
nearly outlived its usefulness.  What I want are the ogg files and
*gasp* mp3s of the audiobook chapters and such that I'm grabbing off of
various sites.

What I *don't* want is laziness to become cluttered with "OH BOY GOLLY
WE SHORE DO HAVE A GOOD POD DOT CAST FOR YOU TONIGHT FULL OF SOUNDS AND
TALKING AND WHY IS THERE EVEN TEXT HERE I WONDER"  No, I enjoy being
able to just find a site with files I may like, run "podcast
http://..." and come back later to find a directory full of gubble to
throw onto my iRiver and listen to when I take a walk.

Once I get my crontab fixed up, all will be complete.

> You might want to take a peek at the MIME type from the HTTP headers
> before going ahead with the download.  Some people "enclose" media
> types you might not want.  See the above script; I'm only grabbing
> known audio formats.

That's interesting, although rockbox can handle images and other things
I haven't really explored yet, so I don't know what I'd filter on.  I
dig my leechy one-liner, although I admit that having some way to feed
it local feed files would be handy.

If I could make it an alias, I would.

--
So are you an honest-to-cripes Atkins dieter with the        Nick Moffitt
little urine test strips and the blood analysis and the     nick@zork.net