[linux-elitists] [AlanMcNaught@dial.pipex.com: RE: [InChI-discuss] Re: InChI software license]

Aaron Burt aaron@bavariati.org
Wed Oct 5 12:48:12 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 11:18:57AM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Any license wonks here? This is pretty important.
<beeeg snip>

I'm not a license wonk or someone who plays a lawyer on TV, so to me,
that looks like an advertising-clause license.  If you want to say
your code generates InChI Protocol, it must pass a specific test:
generate identical output to the freely-available InChI Software.

The InChI Software itself is not Free, but it's gratis, and source is
available and redistributible.  So link to it, call it, redistribute
it with your package but don't incorporate it in your code.

If you write an OSS InChI-compat library, call it something else and
say that it is "meant to communicate with software that uses the InChI
protocol".  AKA weasel-word your way around it.  Isn't that what folks
do for other non-Free formats & protocols?

There has to be a better way to maintain standards,
  Aaron