[linux-elitists] [AlanMcNaught@dial.pipex.com: RE: [InChI-discuss] Re: InChI software license]

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Wed Oct 5 07:07:58 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 11:18:57AM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Any license wonks here? This is pretty important.

I don't arrogate wonk status to myself, but I'm interested in
free software for (bio)chemistry.

So, to cut to the chase in case a bona fide licensing wonk
happens by:  What's the question?

I'll also note this, that the biopolymer structure tools I
teach, like PyMOL, which are also going from strength to
strength, don't support mmCIF.  This is probably in large part a
direct result of the licensing restrictions placed on that
format.  If the inchi folk think their stuff will fare any
better, I'd like to know why they think so.

They can set up an organization to vouch for the conformance of
implementations without such restrictions.

--
Joe