[linux-elitists] Do programmers prefer Microsoft .Net ?

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Sun Nov 27 22:05:34 PST 2005

I'm curious what people think of this sentence from a recent article at CoolTechZone:

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2026

<quote>
The most important reason that Windows based servers are doing so
well could be that programmers find it extremely easy to work on .Net
and other related technologies (seamless integration).
</quote>

I wasn't surprised to see this being written.  Over the past 2 years
I've been amazed at the number of good programmers I've talked to
building software using Microsoft .Net.  Initially I balked at the
whole idea, but I'm now seeing company after company in the startup
world chosing .Net as their development platform.

I should clarify a bit more the (anecdotal) feedback I've gotten.  I'd
say about half of the developers (using .Net) I've talked to are using
Mono on Linux as their primary development platform, and most are
running on both Microsoft and Linux.  The choice to favor Mono/.Net
seems to come at the expense of J2EE.  I consistently have people
telling me they find .Net more portable, easier to use, more stable,
etc.

Has anyone else observed this?  Anyone care to comment on the ease of
development using Microsoft .Net?  How about Mono on Linux verses J2EE
on Linux?

Larry