[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Nov 19 23:01:43 PST 2005

<quote who="Eugen Leitl">

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 05:31:50PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> > A fast and dirty approach: AoE + GFS or OCFS2 (which I've done in Ubuntu
> > 5.10 recently, which added the clusterfs stuff - works nicely).
>
> Thanks for the quick answer. Could you describe your setup in a couple
> more sentences, and which performance you're getting out of it?  I'm very
> much a novice at HA clustering and network file systems.

Oh, I haven't done much in the way of performance testing or anything. It
doesn't suck is about as specific as I can be - definitely not a performance
demanding situation here at home.

Basically I have one low end machine with a bunch of SATA disks in it and a
fast network card. Those are exported by vblade (AoE block device server). I
don't know if this has changed recently, but when I was actively playing
with it, you couldn't use and serve AoE devices on the same machine at the
same time. But I had a spare (quiet!) machine to use as a box o' disks, so
it was okay.

OCFS2 is easier to set up. Install ocfs2-tools and ocfs2console, then run
ocfs2console. Set up the cluster and format the device (AoE stuff turns up
under /dev/ether/... once you load the aoe module). If you run ocfs2console
on the other machine, you'll be able to see the cfs. I've set it up to run
the cluster at startup on the machines using it, and have pretty much left
it like that since.

GFS is more in-depth, but there are purdy graphical tools to play with. I'll
leave that for you. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

             Toothpaste is the most important meal of the day.