[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Nov 19 18:32:45 PST 2005

<quote who="James Antill">

> [2] James's 3 tiered approach to running an "Open" project:
>
> 1. Release binaries and source to build said binaries under a useful OSS
> license.

You can build it, but so far, really only the very core has been released.

> 2. Have public technical discussions about direction of source.

There are mailing lists for all the communities hosted on opensolaris.org,
though I imagine it will take them a while to shift from cube mode to open
development mode. Can't really blame them for that. They've done a much
better job so far than Fedora did. :-)

> 3. Have more multiple competing contributors.

There's already Schillix (UGH!) and Nextenta, plus some attempts at LiveCD
stuff.

They're not doing too badly, and it's still pretty rad that they're doing it
at all. Hooray for industry acceptance of Open Source.

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu USA & Europe Tour: Oct-Nov 2005            http://wiki.ubuntu.com/3BT

   "My computer is like 3 lines of code away from attaining sentience. I
        just have an off-by-one bug somewhere, and that's it: total
                       consciousness." - Nat Friedman