[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Nov 19 18:28:26 PST 2005

<quote who="Eugen Leitl">

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 03:20:50PM -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > You realise that the primary purpose of ZFS is to reduce the dependance
> > of Solaris users on Veritas ?
>
> I still fail to see how a zfs upon a JBOD will magically resurrect my data
> when a drive fails, as compared to a simple RAID 1. Checksumming, sure,
> but smartmontools do provide a failure prognosis as well.

"RAID-Z" does RAID-5 style striping at the logical block level. If you have
four disks, it stripes across those. Add another, all new transactional
writes will strip across all 5.

(What I haven't figured out is whether it does lazy writes of the old 4 disk
striped data across the 5 disks, apart from the corruption correction stuff.
If not, and over time the original 4 disks die, what happens? But for the
moment, I'll assume something sensible happens... and then ask one of the
gang.)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/