[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 18 19:08:08 PST 2005

Quoting Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org):

> How does that philosophy gel with your earlier defensive reply? :-)

I notice that, if party A postulates a sloppy, half-baked critique,
which party B rips to tatters, party A will then often respond "Why are
you being so _defensive_?" -- and imagine that he's actually saying
something clever and telling.

Whereas the semantic content of A's rejoinder is actually zero,
being irrelevant to the point under discussion.  Which A, pleased
with being able to count coup, invariably fails to notice.  Very odd, that.

I always blamed the anti-intellectual side of the Esalen
Institute-focussed "human potential movement" of the '70s for this sort
of conceptual sludge (and thus blamed California, notorious producer of
dodges by the bushel-basket), but perhaps it was imported?