[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Nov 18 16:41:12 PST 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 11:48:31AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Greg KH">
> > > One thing that concerns me is that too few of us on this side of the
> > > fence are happy to admit we have sore bottom cheeks.
> >
> > That's because for the majority of us, it isn't a "us vs. them" type
> > thing.
>
> How does that philosophy gel with your earlier defensive reply? :-)

Um, you were saying that systemtap was copied from dtrace, and I was
just trying to set the record straight?  Yeah, that's it... :)

> > If it becomes pressing that stuff like zfs and dtrace are good and
> > wanted for Linux, it will happen, just give it time.  I'm in no rush.
>
> In the mean time, it's great technology, and not to be pooh-poohed on that
> level. :-)

I totally agree.  zfs has some good looking things, and a easy-as-pie
admin tool, which is really needed.

The kernel-userspace interface is quite laughable though, if you look at
the code, but who does that these days...

thanks,

greg k-h