[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Fri Nov 18 16:44:42 PST 2005

<quote who="Andy Smith">

> > Many of its benefits exist in direct opposition to LVM/EVMS style volume
> > management techniques.
>
> Hmm, well for me the useful bits are the dynamic reallocation of the
> storage pool, the online resizing and ability to add more new storage to
> the pool without downtime.  All of which is basically already doable with
> md/lvm, just not as simple or automated.
>
> Aside from that there is the 128 bit capacity and the built in
> checksumming..

See, this is the usual rationalisation in action... Feature, feature, blah,
blah, *handwave*, kinda-like-this-stuff-here, *handwave*. Nothing to say of
the benefits driven by the features. Sure we can kinda-sorta do this stuff
already, but not with the clarity, manageability or shake-out benefits that
ZFS provides. It's bloody good stuff, and we shouldn't be to snotty to say
it! :-)

(I do this too in desktop land, but try very hard to kick myself out of it
as soon as I exhibit the behaviour. Doesn't always work.)

> > It is wonderful to have Sun kicking Linux up the arse with some
> > innovative, useful and *OPEN SOURCE* technologies. :-)
>
> I see it more as being Sun playing catchup on the open source bandwagon;
> the rest feels a little bit like too little, too late.

Catching up? They're making great technology. Cooler stuff than we have in
some cases... and there's nothing offensive or pathetic about that at all,
it just shows we're seeing competition (which we pushed). Rock on!

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu USA & Europe Tour: Oct-Nov 2005            http://wiki.ubuntu.com/3BT

   "Driving Miss Daisy. Best film of 1989. So said the academy. What does
                        that tell you?" - Spike Lee