[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Nov 18 16:23:12 PST 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 11:21:02AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Greg KH">
>
> > > It is wonderful to have Sun kicking Linux up the arse with some
> > > innovative, useful and *OPEN SOURCE* technologies. :-)
> >
> > Heh, and for all those things that Linux kicks Sun's arse on, those don't
> > count?
>
> You are way too defensive, Greg! Why do you think Sun is *now* competing on
> technology terms? Because they have sore bottom cheeks... *and* they're not
> afraid to admit it (seriously - talk to their techs, and ignore Jonathan
> Schwartz for a minute).

I have talked to their techs, they seem quite jumpy and want to fight it
out.  That's the true sign of people on the defensive :)

And if they want to talk technology, I'd be glad to do so.  We are an
open book, with no secrets here.  Like a phone call I once had with some
programmers who were trying to show off,
  Them:
	"Oops, we need to be careful with what we say to you, as we have
	seen the Windows source code for ACPI."
  Me:
  	"I've seen the Linux code for ACPI, what do you want to know?"

The conversation went downhill from there...

> One thing that concerns me is that too few of us on this side of the fence
> are happy to admit we have sore bottom cheeks.

That's because for the majority of us, it isn't a "us vs. them" type
thing.  Personally, if Solaris and Windows takes over the world, and
everyone stops putting Linux in the "enterprise" machine rooms, and it
goes back to being a "hobbyist" operating system, it will not bother me
(but it will probably force me to get a new job, which will be quite
sad.)

Remember, Linux is a species[1], and we aren't fighting anyone here, we
are merely evolving around everyone else, until they aren't left
standing because the whole ecosystem changed without them realizing it.

If it becomes pressing that stuff like zfs and dtrace are good and
wanted for Linux, it will happen, just give it time.  I'm in no rush.

Oh, and if you want to slap some backsides, go pester that company over
in Redmond about ExpressCard support.  Because of them, I can't get any
BIOS vendors to actually implement it properly so that Linux users can
use it.  We already have the Linux code in the kernel and working, and
companies are shipping hardware...

thanks,

greg k-h

[1] http://lists.ssc.com/pipermail/suitwatch/2005-November/000098.html