[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Andy Smith andy@strugglers.net
Fri Nov 18 16:37:26 PST 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 10:19:55AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Andy Smith">
>
> > a lot of zfs can be done with md and lvm
>
> Poppycock. Read up on ZFS.

:) I've actually been evaluating it for a few weeks, sorry that I am
not as blown away by it as some.

> Many of its benefits exist in direct opposition to LVM/EVMS style
> volume management techniques.

Hmm, well for me the useful bits are the dynamic reallocation of the
storage pool, the online resizing and ability to add more new
storage to the pool without downtime.  All of which is basically
already doable with md/lvm, just not as simple or automated.

Aside from that there is the 128 bit capacity and the built in
checksumming..

Was there anything else I missed?  Is it the automated nature of
this that you see as in direct opposition to LVM/EVMS way of doing
things?

> > The exception at the moment being DTRACE but are you going to be doing a
> > lot of development?
>
> dtrace is exceptional for administrators as well as developers, given that
> its chief design aim was production analysis.

Agreed, a very good point I overlooked.

> It is wonderful to have Sun kicking Linux up the arse with some innovative,
> useful and *OPEN SOURCE* technologies. :-)

I see it more as being Sun playing catchup on the open source
bandwagon; the rest feels a little bit like too little, too late.