[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Fri Nov 18 15:19:55 PST 2005

<quote who="Andy Smith">

> a lot of zfs can be done with md and lvm

Poppycock. Read up on ZFS. Many of its benefits exist in direct opposition
to LVM/EVMS style volume management techniques.

> zones are like UML (plus Linux also has vserver and Xen).

zones are more like vserver than UML, if there's a windy continuum between
them. Xen will turn up in OpenSolaris soon, too.

> The exception at the moment being DTRACE but are you going to be doing a
> lot of development?

dtrace is exceptional for administrators as well as developers, given that
its chief design aim was production analysis. Systemtap is being developed
for Linux, but it's very much a derivative idea without a lot of attention
paid to the benefits of the first.

It is wonderful to have Sun kicking Linux up the arse with some innovative,
useful and *OPEN SOURCE* technologies. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

             "jwz? no way man, he's my idle" - James Wilkinson