[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri Nov 18 05:30:30 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 12:51:09PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 01:19:52PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > I've just ordered me a Sun Fire X2100 (barebone configuration,
> > to be extended to 4 GByte RAM and 2x300 GB SATA RAID).
>
> Really expensive for what they are, although the build quality is
> nice.

600 EUR for the bare bone (less than 1000 for the IPMI module + DVD
drive + slide rail kit, all excl VAT) is relatively cheap, if it's
typical Sun hardware quality. It gets very pricey very quick if you buy
stuff from Sun/resellers, but luckily you can get all the components
elsewhere.

Do you have pointers for similiar hardware at lower prices?

> What features of OpenSolaris are you particularly interested in?

zfs, zones, and the new stack. My main beef with Solaris so far
has been lack of apt-get updateable package depository (considerable
work with sunfreeware has been required), and more issues with
building stuff than on stock x86 Linux.

> Most of what it provides in terms of innovation can be replicated in
> Linux with a bit of fiddling: a lot of zfs can be done with md and
> lvm, zones are like UML (plus Linux also has vserver and Xen).  The

I've got a bit of beigeish hardware in the rack which will do VServers on
Debian.

> exception at the moment being DTRACE but are you going to be doing a
> lot of development?

Possibly, at least other person(s) on the team.

> Hardware support in Solaris is going to be poor for quite some time
> I imagine, but there's not a lot of scope for adding new hardware.

I wouldn't want to install OpenSolaris on an unsupported platform.
I will probably go with dual-boot OpenSolaris/Debian AMD64 on the box.