[linux-elitists] OpenSolaris

Andy Smith andy@strugglers.net
Fri Nov 18 04:51:09 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 01:19:52PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I've just ordered me a Sun Fire X2100 (barebone configuration,
> to be extended to 4 GByte RAM and 2x300 GB SATA RAID).

Really expensive for what they are, although the build quality is
nice.

> While Debian AMD64 is reported on run well it, I'm also considering
> checking out OpenSolaris, especially now that zfs is shipping.
>
> I'm not quite sure how quirky and sustainable the effort is, however,
> given Sun's history of propritary lock-in.

I don't think they will be able to go backwards, now.  CDDL is an
open source license but a pretty weak one when compared to GPL - but
if you don't have a problem with BSD license then probably you won't
have a problem with CDDL.

> If you have informed views on the matter, please share.

What features of OpenSolaris are you particularly interested in?
Most of what it provides in terms of innovation can be replicated in
Linux with a bit of fiddling: a lot of zfs can be done with md and
lvm, zones are like UML (plus Linux also has vserver and Xen).  The
exception at the moment being DTRACE but are you going to be doing a
lot of development?

Hardware support in Solaris is going to be poor for quite some time
I imagine, but there's not a lot of scope for adding new hardware.