[linux-elitists] Heise covers Greg K-H

Aaron Burt aaron@bavariati.org
Wed Nov 16 13:41:28 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 12:01:57PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 11:36:24AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > begin Aaron Burt quotation of Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 11:55:07PM -0800:
> > > Yay! Open-source software testing is teh nifty.
> >
> > LTP, anyone?
>
> It's real hard to see exactly what ltp tests.  From my experience with
> it, it's more of a "feel good, look at how many things we pass" type of
> experience.  It's pretty useless as a kernel regression test, and I
> think most people now realize it's pointless...

If that's true, it's because the suite isn't being maintained
properly.  Which gets back to my point about how traditional s/w
testing takes a fair bit of labor, of the kind that wants to be paid.

Putting a bounty on Bugme regression test-cases might be a cheap way
to offset this.  Though I can't think of a well-funded Open Source
organization that would part with the money to do this.

Alternately, someone could Save The World by coming up with a way to
make test-dev worth volunteering for.  Spikesource looks to be groping
in that direction.

--
...we hear off in the distance the deep mooing call of
PHBs yearning to impose an "Enterprise Solution"....