[linux-elitists] Re: Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Nov 10 11:27:35 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 13:41 -0500, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> I'm all for the "put your money where your mouth is" motto.  It's just
> that, with regard to getting a decent level of 3D acceleration in Linux,
> there is nowhere else to put your money.  The market fail, there is no
> conversation possible.
>
> So the situation is a matter of compromise.  For some people, it's an
> entirely reasonnable compromise to live without decent 3D acceleration
> whatsoever, or to use a proprietary OS when you need it.  For other,
> it's not.  If you fall within the second group, what are you supposed to
> do ?

I'd buy a GLINT (or GLoria) (or other follow-ons from 3DLabs that are
not ATI or nVidia) based card.

You might also consider S3's recent products, they are seeming to give
good results as well.

What about the fact that the nv driver for X seems to work. Just not
really good (yet) but better than Frame-Buffer.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing