[linux-elitists] Re: Replying to a List and another Recipient [was Re: Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers]

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Thu Nov 10 07:16:45 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 06:38:27AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 November 2005 22:21, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> > begin  Shlomi Fish  quotation:
> > > A completely nazi measurement for a complete non-issue and even
> > > anti-issue.
> >
> > Okay, I realize you're Israeli, but do you think you could chill out a
> > little on comparing Don's mailing list configuration with the Holocaust?
>
> That's not the meaning of the word "nazi" (notice the lowercase "N") I used
> here. Reading from: > > http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nazi

> nazi (slang) A person considered unfairly oppressive or needlessly strict.
> I tried to get into the club, but the door nazi threw me out.

Hi Shlomi:

	Baloney.  And you know that.

Anyone with your cultural origins (Jewish) is going to consider that
term incredibly offensive. Almost anyone with American (USA) or European
origins will also consider it incredibly offensive. I certainly do.

[WP] may provide a meaning but it does nothing to elucidate the
massive emotional connotations of disgust and contempt which this term
appropriately carries with it as baggage. With your background that
baggage must be especially evident which makes your use of the word
especially offensive.

Trying to present it as "not that offensive" comes off as less than
honest, (like old school marketing), reducing credibility rather
than enhancing it.

	Best move at this time:  recant and apologize.

If you don't like the way the list is set up, don't participate.  Use
other lists.  You have massive numbers of alternatives.

If you're not Jewish then I apologize for the assumption that you are
but most of what is above still applies.

If you disagree with the above, then please consider it to be a peek
inside a generalized mindset of what you are probably dealing with.

Even that perspective can be useful to you.
speech recognition software may have been used to create this e-mail