[linux-elitists] Replying to a List and another Recipient [was Re: Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers]

George Georgalis george@galis.org
Wed Nov 9 19:27:16 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 02:40:02PM -0600, Jerry Cooperstein wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 12:21 -0800, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
>> begin  Shlomi Fish  quotation:
>> > A completely nazi measurement for a complete non-issue and even
>> > anti-issue.
>>
>> Okay, I realize you're Israeli, but do you think you could chill out a
>> little on comparing Don's mailing list configuration with the Holocaust?
>>

>Agreed...It's a rule of thumb that once the Nazi or
>Fascist reference is made it shows discussion is over.

Accept this is clearly an example of Quirk's Exception to Godwin's Law.

So I may as well throw in, the use of the Mail-Followup-To:
header.  I don't see an rfc for it but it is widely used and
accepted to denote if an author wants cc of list postings,
for example

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2005-06/msg00068.html

Mutt supports it natively, unfortunately *some* people misconfigure
their clients to request cc via the Mail-Followup-To in the same
messages they complain about getting cc.

when you list reply mutt determines if it recognizes a list in
the to field (not sure why cc field is not also checked for list),
if the address matches the list or subscribe regex in muttrc; a
list reply not in the subscribe regex gets the senders address
in the Mail-Followup-To field, _so_ list subscribers know to cc
the sender. if the list address matches the subscribe regex the
poster's address does not go in Mail-Followup-To, because he
presumably follows the list and doesn't want cc from everyone who
responds.

of course the sender and list admin can do anything they want.
Now to configure a no bcc hook for messages I send to lists ;)

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org